Templeton Area Redevelopment
Vancouver Airport Authority (YVR) is planning to redevelop approximately 44 acres of land in the Templeton Area, adjacent to Burkeville, a Sea Island residential neighbourhood.
This land has always been utilized and reserved for operational use. Under YVR’s current and proposed Land Use Plan, the Templeton redevelopment area is designated for Groundside Commercial and Airside land use, which allows for business uses requiring access for aircraft operations or vehicle access to the airfield. Land like this is rare. To help keep YVR efficient and environmentally sustainable, any future redevelopment of these airside lands must be based on highest and best use of the approved land use designation.
As part of any future development of this site, YVR intends to incorporate measures that minimize project noise, greenspace changes and other effects for Burkeville residents and to consider community enhancements like improved sidewalks and multi-use pathways for pedestrians and cyclists and improved access to the Canada Line.
Early Planning and Community Engagement
(Winter 2017 to Spring 2018)
In November 2017, YVR began initial engagement with Burkeville residents about the Templeton Area Redevelopment Project. As part of early planning, YVR:
- Presented information about the project at the Sea Island Community Association Annual General Meeting (November 23, 2017)
- Launched an online survey to gather community input (November 23 - December 14, 2017). Members of the Burkeville Community Facebook group also invited to participate and provided with a link to the online survey.
- Compiled a Consultation Summary Report reflecting the input of the 136 Burkeville residents who responded to the survey and distributed it to those that requested project updates. (January 12, 2018)
- Provided a project update with information about potential redevelopment and ways to participate in the December 2017 issue of the Sea Island Times, a community newsletter distributed to Sea Island residents.
- Requested the community’s participation in subsequent phases of planning including plans to develop a five-member Advisory Committee and host future community open houses (scheduled to occur in Spring 2018)
- Collaborated with the community to identify and convene a Community Advisory Committee. (January 12 - January 27, 2018)
- Convened and reported out on the first two Advisory Committee meetings (January 30 and February 13, March 4, 2018)
- Hosted two Community Open Houses (April 29 and May 4, 2018)
- Hosted an online survey to receive community feedback on proposed plans (April 29 to May 4, 2018)
Current Engagement Opportunities
- The Discussion Guide and the Display Boards available to review.
- The community feedback survey responses have been compiled into a Consultation Summary Report.
Planned Future Engagement
(Spring to Summer 2018)
- Continue to engage with the community through door-to-door mail drops, email and social media (ongoing)
- Consider input received, along with financial and technical information, in finalizing mitigation and enhancement principles, specific mitigation/enhancement requirements and future engagement topics as the proposed redevelopment moves to detailed design (timing TBD)
- YVR project assessment, recommendations and approval to proceed with final negotiations (timing TBD)
About the Community Advisory Committee
In November 2017, YVR asked survey respondents to indicate if they would be interested in participating in an advisory committee with up to five representatives from the Sea Island residential community. More than 50 people expressed interest and 12 people subsequently confirmed their availability to participate in up to four scheduled meetings. YVR gave those names to the Sea Island Community executive who nominated five people to participate in the Advisory Committee. The only criteria for committee members was that they live in Burkeville.
The advisory committee is one process within an ongoing engagement program that also will include an opportunity for broader community input. The role of the committee is to:
- Inform YVR about the importance of potential project effects, to help make a better project
- Provide preliminary input on potential enhancement measures to assist YVR in determining which will be most effective and most supported
- Provide feedback on draft public open house materials to help ensure better-informed input and better decisions
The Advisory Committee does not make any decisions about the project, endorse the redevelopment, or speak on behalf of YVR or fellow residents.
Getting in Touch
We want to hear from all community members and encourage Sea Island residents to participate in engagement opportunities and share their input.
Please email email@example.com with any questions or concerns you may have. In addition, sign up below for updates, event alerts and notifications about future engagement opportunities.