Templeton Area Redevelopment
Vancouver Airport Authority (YVR) is planning to redevelop approximately 44 acres of land in the Templeton Area, adjacent to Burkeville, a Sea Island residential neighbourhood.
This land has always been utilized and reserved for operational use. Under YVR’s Land Use Plan, the Templeton redevelopment area is designated for Groundside Commercial and Airside land use, which allows for business uses requiring access for aircraft operations or vehicle access to the airfield. Land like this is rare. To help keep YVR efficient and environmentally sustainable, any future redevelopment of these airside lands must be based on highest and best use of the approved land use designation.
As part of any future development of this site, YVR intends to incorporate measures that minimize project noise, greenspace changes and other effects for Burkeville residents and to consider community enhancements like improved sidewalks and multi-use pathways for pedestrians and cyclists and improved access to the Canada Line.
Current Planning and Community Engagement
- The results of Phase 3 engagement on the design of the Templeton Corridor
- Information about Project next steps including plans for ongoing engagement
- An opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback
Our next phase in community engagement will follow as we advance design concepts for the facility and project site.
Early Planning and Community Engagement
(August 2018 to December 2019)
In August 2018, YVR invited Burkeville residents to volunteer for the second Community Advisory Committee for the Templeton Area Redevelopment Project. As part of early planning, YVR:
- Provided an update on next steps for the engagement process and requested the community’s participation in the upcoming subsequent phase of planning including plans to develop a five-member Advisory Committee (August 24 - September 5, 2018, extended to September 10, 2018). Notification was provided through email, door-to-door mail and through the Burkeville Community Facebook group.
- Responded to the the 14 community members expressed interest in joining the community advisory committee and confirmed their availability to attend the meetings on September 18 and October 2, 2018.
- Coordinated with Sea Island Community Association (SICA) to randomly selected the five community advisory members in a draw. (September 11, 2018) All volunteers were notified of the outcome and YVR confirmed final committee members. One individual was unable to attend the meetings and a redraw took place (September 12, 2018). An update to the community introducing the committee members was sent to the project subscribers. (September 13, 2018)
- Met with the Advisory Committee on September 18, 2018 and on Oct 2, 2018.
- Provided a summary of the meeting outcomes from the meeting on September 18. The presentation from the meeting is also available. (September 20, 2018) NOTE: all images contained within the presentation are conceptual and intended to guide discussion with the Community Advisory Committee. The concepts are subject to many considerations going forward, including detailed design, costing and feasibility. At the first meeting, the advisory committee was invited to provide preliminary input on early designs to help YVR determine what features will be most effective and most supported. YVR will invite broader community feedback in late October / early November, following completion of the advisory committee meetings.
- Provided a summary of the meeting outcomes from the meeting on October 2. The presentation from the meeting is also available. (October 10, 2018) NOTE: all images contained within the presentation are conceptual and intended to guide discussion with the Community Advisory Committee. The concepts are subject to many considerations going forward, including detailed design, costing and feasibility. At the first meeting, the advisory committee was invited to provide preliminary input on early designs to help YVR determine what features will be most effective and most supported. YVR will invite broader community feedback in late October / early November, following completion of the advisory committee meetings.
- We recently sought community feedback on design elements, enhancements and amenities for the Templeton Corridor via an online engagement survey. Survey participation was voluntary; however, feedback from this survey will help shape final plans for the Templeton Corridor. We assure you that YVR does not view your participation in this survey as support for the project. The survey closed on December 10, 2018.
- Phase 3 Engagement sought input on the overall design of the corridor space, social commons area options, multi-use path, landscaping and public art. The engagement website includes comprehensive information about YVR's planning and engagement efforts to-date for the Templeton Area Redevelopment project.
(Winter 2017 to Spring 2018)
In November 2017, YVR began initial engagement with Burkeville residents about the Templeton Area Redevelopment Project.
- Launched an online survey to gather community input (November 23 - December 14, 2017). Members of the Burkeville Community Facebook group also invited to participate and provided with a link to the online survey.
- Compiled a Consultation Summary Report reflecting the input of the 136 Burkeville residents who responded to the survey and distributed it to those that requested project updates. (January 12, 2018)
- Provided a project update with information about potential redevelopment and ways to participate in the December 2017 issue of the Sea Island Times, a community newsletter distributed to Sea Island residents.
- Requested the community’s participation in subsequent phases of planning including plans to develop a five-member Advisory Committee and host future community open houses (Spring 2018)
- Collaborated with the community to identify and convene a Community Advisory Committee. (January 12 - January 27, 2018)
- Convened and reported out on the first two Advisory Committee meetings (January 30 and February 13, March 4, 2018)
- Hosted two Community Open Houses (April 29 and May 4, 2018)
- Hosted an online survey to receive community feedback on proposed plans (April 29 to May 4, 2018)
- The Discussion Guide and the Display Boards were made available to review (May, June, 2018)
- The community feedback survey responses were compiled into a Consultation Summary Report and made available for community review. (June 2018)
Planned Future Engagement
The project plan will be submitted for final review and approval in early 2019. Following approval, the project will advance to the design stage. YVR and the future tenant are committed to engagement on the design and construction plans as they progress in 2019. Phase 4 will include discussions of aspects such as lighting, building design, traffic management and specific noise mitigation measures during construction and ongoing operation. This engagement is targeted to begin in Spring 2019.
We appreciate the community’s involvement throughout the consultation process and we look forward to engaging with you as planning continues.
Getting in Touch
We want to hear from all community members and encourage Sea Island residents to participate in engagement opportunities and share their input.
Please email email@example.com with any questions or concerns you may have. In addition, sign up below for updates, event alerts and notifications about future engagement opportunities.