Travellers flying from Vancouver International Airport (YVR) are strongly encouraged to arrive at the airport early for their flight in order to clear security screening. For domestic travel, YVR recommends passengers arrive at least two hours ahead of their scheduled flight, and at least three hours ahead for U.S. and international destinations.
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA), which is the federal crown corporation responsible for all passenger security screening, is experiencing ongoing staffing shortages, which is contributing to long lines and lengthy delays in processing passengers through security screening at YVR. It is unclear when this situation will improve.
YVR is welcoming up to 45,000 passengers per day and the airport anticipates passenger traffic to continue to increase. To help travellers prepare for their next trip through the airport, YVR offers the following five tips:
- Arrive early. YVR strongly encourages all travellers flying from YVR to arrive at the airport early—at least two hours ahead of domestic flights and at least three hours for U.S. and international.
- Follow latest health measures. Masks continue to be required in the terminal and onboard your flight.
- Take note of in-terminal signs. Passengers may be directed through specific screening checkpoints depending on volume. Please follow in-terminal signs. YVR’s Guest Experience team and Green Coat volunteers are stationed at Information Counters and throughout the terminal, and are ready to answer any questions you may have.
- Be prepared for passenger screening. Recognize that CATSA staff are doing their best under very busy and challenging circumstances. For those with carry-on luggage, ensure liquids, gels and aerosols are in containers that are under 100 milliliters and are packaged into one transparent, closed and resealable plastic bag with a capacity of no more than one litre. Check the full list of CATSA carry-on requirements here.
- Know before you go. Have your travel documents, including your passport and proof of vaccination, ready before you check in for your flight. Be sure to also understand the entry requirements of your destination.
The airport will continue to provide the latest information and updates for travellers and the community at YVR.ca and on Twitter: @YVRairport.