As of August 8, 2021 at 9:01 p.m., fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are currently living in the United States will be able to enter Canada for leisure travel. Partially or unvaccinated travellers are permitted entry into Canada for essential travel only.
As a reminder, all travellers entering Canada must meet specific criteria to clear the border.
This is in-line with Canada’s safe, measured and risk-based approach to reopen travel and tourism. And we’re expecting a higher number of passengers over the weekend and in the weeks ahead. We’re encouraging travellers to be prepared and be patient as we work to deliver a safe, seamless experience at YVR.
For those travelling to Canada as of August 8 at 9:01 p.m., here’s what you need to know:
- The Government of Canada continues to require that all passengers conduct a pre-departure test 72 hours prior to entering Canada. More information about COVID-19 testing at YVR is available here.
- All travellers to Canada are required to use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information within 72 hours prior to entering the country, which includes pre-departure test and vaccination information.
- ArriveCAN information will be used by airline staff at the point of origin and by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) upon arrival for entry screening purposes.
- Fully-vaccinated travellers may be required to complete a test upon arrival, as determined by CBSA and PHAC during screening.
- Partially or unvaccinated travellers – including those who are vaccinated but do not have the full-suite of Canada approved vaccines – will be required to quarantine for 14 days and conduct a Day-1 and Day-8 COVID-19 test.
- The government-authorized hotel stay requirement will be eliminated for all travellers arriving by air.
- Transport Canada will remove the requirement for CATSA to perform pre-board temperature screening of all passengers, as well as airport workers.
- There are different testing and quarantine requirements for those under 18 years of age. Please visit the Government of Canada’s website for more information: travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/exemptions
Please note that masks remain mandatory within the airport and onboard flights.
Thanks for your patience as we focus on implementing these changes with our many airport partners and deliver a safe, seamless experience.
For more information on preparing for you trip through YVR, visit www.yvr.ca/READY.
For more information on travel requirements for entering Canada, visit https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border.