Our Environmental Management Plan
Our Environmental Management Plan sets out our accountabilities and priorities for you to see what we do and our Annual Sustainability Report identifies what we’ve accomplished. In late 2008, we updated the plan with key priorities to take us into 2013. We also adopted a new Safety, Security, and Environmental Policy that brings together our core objectives: excellence in safety, security and environment.
Vancouver Airport Authority’s primary objective is to build, operate and maintain a safe, secure and environmentally sustainable airport for our employees and customers alike.
All our environmental initiatives and activities aim to support our five strategic priorities:
- Reduce emissions
- Reduce energy usage
- Reduce waste
- Communication, awareness, recognition and education
- Continuous improvement of core environmental programs including Noise Management
How will we meet these priorities from now until 2013? Through innovative and dynamic activities that set YVR apart as a leader in sustainability. Here is just some of what we’re doing so far:
- Rightsizing and improving our fleet management to fuel efficient and low emission vehicles
- Expanding our already successful solar hot water system
- Replacing all garbage cans in the terminal with combined waste and recycle containers
- Promoting sustainability initiatives like cycling and carpooling programs to employees
Airports and aviation are industries with environmental challenges like any other. Our job is to balance the economic needs with social and environmental needs. We know that a sustainable business in the future means making decisions that benefit our economy, our environment and our communities.
Our future relies on operating YVR in a sustainable, safe and secure manner.