There are several key projects currently taking place that will enhance the airport experience. This includes our biggest sustainability projects to date, new parking options, terminal expansions and much more.
Some projects you may see on Sea Island this month include:
- Various work is continuing in the old Value Lot (adjacent to the Parkade) to prepare for the construction of a new six-storey parking lot and Central Utilities Building. This work includes traffic control measures around the south west exit and construction of a new toll plaza which will see the closure of the current express pay lanes on September 24. This also impacts the crosswalk in the vicinity leading to/from the Parkade (level P1) which will no longer be in use. Please follow all directional signage in the area.
- Scheduled maintenance work will be taking place on level 3 of the Parkade. This work will occur in phases during daytime hours and is expected to be complete by early October.
- Construction is underway to prepare for Phase II of the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport. This phase is scheduled to open in Spring 2019 and will deliver 84,000 square feet of additional retail space.
- There will be various improvements to a section of Pier B, our domestic terminal. As part of this work, there will be hoarding and phased closures of two passenger hold rooms. Work is anticipated to be complete by June 2019.
- Starting mid-September, construction will begin in an enclosed area between the international and domestic terminal. Construction will take approximately two weeks to complete and there may be intermittent noise. This work is being done to create a temporary baggage system for our partners and is expected to be in place until July 2019.
- As part of the International Pier D expansion project, various work is currently being done behind the hoarding area between gates D58 and D64. While disruption is expected to be minimal, there may be intermittent noise in this area.
- There will be various other hoarding around the terminal for upgrades.
- As part of the jetSet Parking lot reconfiguration project, the cell phone lot has been temporarily relocated. There is clear directional signage to the interim lot. When construction is complete, it will be paved and have WiFi, offering an improved customer experience.
- A section of McDonald Road is now closed for construction traffic only. This work is part of the project to extend the east apron for Remote Stand Operations. Please follow all directional signage to the new McDonald Road, located east of North Service Place.
- There is construction on the North Runway End Safety Area (RESA). All YVR’s runways will have 300-metre RESAs, double the recommended Canadian standards. RESAs protect the travelling public in the unlikely event of an aircraft overrun or undershoot. This construction is expected to be completed in November and will include night time work. We are doing our best to minimize impact to our neighbours in Richmond, Vancouver’s south slope and Burkeville and encourage anyone who has more questions about construction to visit our website or to email RESAinfo@yvr.ca.
- Preparation work is underway as we relocate utilities as part of the above mentioned North Runway RESA project. Equipment and material will be visible from Ferguson Road.
For more information, visit yvr.ca/construction.