There are several key projects currently taking place that will enhance the airport experience. This includes our biggest sustainability projects to date, new parking options, terminal expansions and much more.
Some projects you may see on Sea Island this month include:
- Various work is continuing in the old Value Lot (adjacent to the Parkade) to prepare for the construction of a new six-storey parking lot and Central Utilities Building. This month, the work includes traffic control measures around the south west exit and utilities relocation. Please follow all directional signage in the area.
- Construction is underway to prepare for Phase II of the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport. This phase is scheduled to open in Spring 2019 and will deliver 84,000 square feet of additional retail space.
- Construction is starting in early November on the Great Blue Heron Multi-Use Pathway. The project is expected to be complete by January 2019. The path will connect to the existing path on Airport Road, connecting alongside Larry Berg Flight Path Park, across Russ Baker Way to Cessna Drive.
- There will be various improvements to a section of Pier B, our domestic terminal. As part of this work, there will be hoarding and phased closures of two passenger hold rooms. Work is anticipated to be complete by June 2019.
- Starting early November, construction will begin on an enclosed area between the international and domestic terminal. Construction will take approximately two weeks to complete and there may be intermittent noise. This work is being done to create a temporary baggage system for our partners and is expected to be in place until July 2019.
- As part of the International Pier D expansion project, steel work has begun. This will take place airside and may include noisy work. Given that there is 24-hour operations in this part of the terminal, we understand that this could potentially be disruptive for those with flights at nearby gates. If you are looking for somewhere quiet, we recommend finding seating in the creek area. The creek area is only a few minutes away near the food court.
- As part of work to improve our processes for transfer passengers, there may be intermittent noise within the U.S. Pre Board Screening area as well as U.S. Customs during daytime hours.
- There will be various other hoarding around the terminal for upgrades.
- As part of the jetSet Parking lot reconfiguration project, the cell phone lot has been temporarily relocated. There is clear directional signage to the interim lot. When construction is complete, it will be paved and have WiFi, offering an improved customer experience.
- A section of McDonald Road is now closed for construction traffic only. This work is part of the project to extend the east apron for Remote Stand Operations. Please follow all directional signage to the new McDonald Road, located east of North Service Place.
- There is construction on the North Runway End Safety Area (RESA). All YVR’s runways will have 300-metre RESAs, double the recommended Canadian standards. RESAs protect the travelling public in the unlikely event of an aircraft overrun or undershoot. This construction is expected to be completed in November and will include night time work. We are doing our best to minimize impact to our neighbours in Richmond, Vancouver’s south slope and Burkeville and encourage anyone who has more questions about construction to visit our website or to email RESAinfo@yvr.ca.
- Preparation work is underway as we relocate utilities as part of the above mentioned North Runway RESA project. Equipment and material will be visible from Ferguson Road.
For more information, visit yvr.ca/construction.