There are several key projects currently taking place that will enhance the airport experience. This includes our biggest sustainability projects to date, new parking options, terminal expansions and much more.
Some projects you may see on Sea Island this month include:
- Construction is underway to prepare for Phase II of the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport. This phase is scheduled to open in Spring 2019 and will deliver 84,000 square feet of additional retail space. BC Hydro is completing utilities work in and around Grant McConachie Way and Templeton Street. Expected work in August includes paving on Miller Road as well as bike lane repairs on Grant McConachie Way. Once schedules are finalized, more information will be provided.
- Various work is continuing in the old Value Lot (adjacent to the Parkade) to prepare for the construction of a new six-storey parking lot and Central Utilities Building. This work includes fence and hoarding installation, grubbing and some minor traffic control measures around the exit toll plaza.
- As part of the above project, preparatory work is also taking place around the old Value Lot in phases, overnight. Progressive lane closures are required westbound and eastbound on Grant McConachie Way. Impacts to the public will be minimal and drivers are asked to follow directional signage. The work is expected to be completed by early August.
- As part of the jetSet Parking lot reconfiguration project, the cell phone lot has been temporarily relocated. There is clear directional signage to the interim lot. When construction is complete, it will be paved and have WiFi, offering an improved customer experience.
- The closure of a section of McDonald Road has been postponed until mid-August. This work is part of the project to extend the east apron for Remote Stand Operations. Once closed, please follow all directional signage to the new McDonald Road, located east of North Service Place.
- Work is wrapping up on the curbside enhancement project, which is occurring on the sidewalk along the Departures level. There are construction zones set up along the departures level which impact sidewalk and curb access.
- Work is underway for an expansion to YVR’s international Pier D. As part of the project, various work is currently being done behind the hoarding area between gates D58 and D64. While disruption is expected to be minimal, there may be intermittent noise in this area.
- Construction has begun on the North Runway End Safety Area (RESA). All YVR’s runways will have 300-metre RESAs, double the recommended Canadian standards. RESAs protect the travelling public in the unlikely event of an aircraft overrun or undershoot. This construction is expected to be completed in November and will include night time work. We are doing our best to minimize impact to our neighbours in Richmond, Vancouver’s south slope and Burkeville and encourage anyone who has more questions about construction to visit our website or to email RESAinfo@yvr.ca.
- Preparation work is underway as we relocate utilities as part of the above mentioned North Runway RESA project. Equipment and material will be visible from Ferguson Road.
For more information, visit yvr.ca/construction.