There are several key projects currently taking place that will enhance the airport experience. This includes our biggest sustainability projects to date, new parking options, terminal expansions and much more.
Some projects you may see on Sea Island this month include:
- The curbside enhancement project continues which includes work to glass windows and the sidewalk along the Departures level. There are several construction zones set up along the departures level which impact sidewalk and curb access. More information on this project can be found at yvr.ca/construction. The work is expected to be complete by late Spring.
- Work is taking place in the Domestic Transfer and In Transit Pre-Clearance Facilities as well as the International Terminal security screening area to introduce CATSA Plus, a high performance security screening system. Passenger routing may be modified for short periods of time around work areas. Any noisy work will take place at night to limit disruptions. All new systems are expected to be operational by the end of June.
- As part of the Pier D expansion project, a floor to ceiling hoarding wall near Gates 58 and 62 will be installed over the coming weeks. No operations will be impacted during this installation.
- Various early works will be taking place in the old Value Lot (adjacent to the Parkade) to prepare for the construction of a new six-storey parking lot and Centralized Utilities Building. This work includes fence and hoarding installation, grubbing and some minor traffic control measures around the exit toll plaza.
- Work is starting this month to prepare for the upcoming reconfiguration of the jetSet Parking lot. This work will impact some parking spots but the lot remains open and continues to be a parking option for travellers.
- As part of the parking reconfiguration project, the cell phone lot will be temporarily relocated, starting on April 20. There will be clear directional signage to the interim lot. Once the cell phone lot re-opens, it will be paved and have WiFi, offering an improved customer experience.
- Preparation work is underway as we relocate utilities as part of the North Runway RESA project. Equipment and material will be visible from Ferguson Road.
- Taxiway improvement work is currently underway, including pavement repair. The project will be complete by the end of April.